Employees hired remotely who do not have access to an FSU Representative must follow FSU's Electronic Remote I-9 Process regarding completion of their I-9. Remote Hires are defined as employees who do not physically work on or in proximity to an FSU Campus. In this circumstance, the potential employee must seek a Remote Agent (Notary Public, College/University Representative, or Other Pre-Authorized Agent approved by FSU HR) to complete the Form I-9 electronically on behalf of FSU. If a Remote Agent cannot be found or those found are unwilling to complete the I-9, contact the I-9 Administrator in HR.
The Electronic Remote I-9 must be completed quickly in order to ensure timely processing of their appointment as the distance factor for Remote Hires slows down processing more so than regular, on-campus new hires. The electronic I-9 must be completed quickly as it must be submitted to E-Verify within 3 days of their Hire Date (first day of work for pay). Once the employee has accepted the job offer, access the electronic form via the Remote Hire with Agent Request Form below. Impress upon the employee the importance of completing the electronic I-9 as soon as possible.
Electronic Remote I-9 Process
- Department Representative completes the electronic Remote Hire with Agent Form.
- HR will review the request, and initiate the Remote Hire Workflow.
- The employee will receive an email from the Guardian system, instructing them to complete Section 1 of the I-9 form electronically and print out instructions for a Remote Agent to complete Section 2 electronically.
- The employee will identify a Remote Agent (Notary Public, College/University Representative, or Other Pre-Authorized Agent approved by FSU HR) and bring their original documents along with Remote Agent instructions to their chosen agent.
- The Remote Agent will complete and sign Section 2 of the I-9 form electronically.
- HR will complete and submit all remote hire I-9s to E-Verify and work with Department Representatives if there are any outstanding issues with the I-9 completion.
Copyright 2017 Hyland Software, Inc., Law Logix Division