All screenshots are copyrighted by LawLogix Group, Inc.
U.S. law requires companies to employ only individuals who may legally work in the United States - either U.S. citizens, or foreign citizens who have the necessary authorization.
E-Verify is an Internet-based system that allows businesses to determine the eligibility of their employees to work in the United States.
E-Verify compares the information an employee provides on Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against millions of government records and generally provides results in 15-30 seconds. If the information matches, that employee is eligible to work in the United States. If there's a mismatch, E-Verify will alert the employer and the employee will be allowed to work while he or she resolves the problem. E-Verify compares the information on the I-9 to the records of the Social Security Administration and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
On October 12, 2012, FSU expanded its I-9 process to send all newly completed I-9s to E-Verify. This process was expanded to validate as much information as possible and uphold the highest employment practices. Using E-Verify has added an additional step to completing the I-9; however, doing so ensures employment eligibility for all employees, verifies information on the Form I-9, and greatly decreases liability for FSU and its departments.
Guardian Instructions to Complete E-Verify
- Once the I-9 is completed, select the button "Approve This I-9."
- An E-Verify Case will automatically be created with the information from the I-9.
- The E-Verify page will appear and interact with the necessary records.
- Keep the employee present until the E-Verify Case is closed.
E-Verify: Photo Matching Tool
- The Photo Matching tool is an additional tool utilized during the E-Verify process to determine authenticity of certain documents presented for I-9 purposes.
- The tool appears during the E-Verify submission process when List A, I-551(Green Card), I-766 (EAD card) or US Passport documents have been presented in Section 2.
- The returned E-Verify image should not be compared to the employee.
- Please use the employee's document to compare against the returned image.
- Please upload documents to the New Employee Wizards portal or send documents to the I-9 Administrator via FSU Dropbox.
E-Verify Case Statuses:
- Ready to Resolve Case (Employment Authorized)
- This status is returned once all the information on the I-9 matches DHS and SSA records.
- Select the appropriate answers in order to close the case.
- If the employee begins employment in the future, answer "Yes" to the first question.
- If the employee will work starting the listed hire date, but is not currently employed, select "Yes" as the question refers to employment on the hire date.
If the employee is terminated at the time of the case closure, select "Review Employment" to terminate the employee using their OMNI Termination date, and then select "No."
- Close the Case!
- On Hold, waiting for user interaction [Case Incomplete]
If the I-9 is submitted three days after the employee's hire date, the reason for late submission will need to be specified.
- Once the reason is specified, click "Resubmit Late Inquiry."
E-Verify may ask for information to be verified. If so, both you and the employee should check the information before you click "Continue Case."
Information may return as invalid. Check the information and enter the correct information on the right.
- On Hold, waiting for user interaction [SSA Tentative Non-confirmation (TNC)] or [DHS Tentative Non-confirmation (TNC)]
TNCs are returned once data on the I-9 does not match DHS or SSA records.
- Review the information on the I-9 with the employee and their documents to ensure no mistakes were made.
- If information was entered incorrectly, contact the I-9 Administrator in HR in order for the I-9 to be amended.
- If the information seems correct, contact the I-9 Administrator for help going through the TNC process with the employee.
- Pending Secondary or Additional Verification
After continuing, the case may require additional or secondary verification which could take several days. Check back to your E-Verify page (E-Verify button on left vertical menu) the next day until the status is updated.
- Invalid Query
- I-9s approved without Social Security Numbers entered in Section 1 will return as "Invalid Queries."
- Once the employee receives their SSN, contact the I-9 Administrator in HR in order to amend the I-9 with the missing SSN and submit the Case to E-Verify.