Employees hired remotely who do not have access to an FSU Representative must follow FSU's Electronic Remote I-9 Process regarding completion of their I-9. Remote Hires are defined as employees who do not physically work on or in proximity to an FSU Campus. In this circumstance, the potential employee must seek a Remote Agent (Notary Public, College/University Representative, or Other Pre-Authorized Agent approved by FSU HR) to complete the Form I-9 electronically on behalf of FSU. If a Remote Agent cannot be found or those found are unwilling to complete the I-9, contact the I-9 Administrator in HR.
The Electronic Remote I-9 must be completed quickly in order to ensure timely processing of their appointment as the distance factor for Remote Hires slows down processing more so than regular, on-campus new hires. The electronic I-9 must be completed quickly as it must be submitted to E-Verify within 3 days of their Hire Date (first day of work for pay). Complete, and send the Remote Hire with Agent Request Form to email@example.com once the employee has accepted the job offer. Impress upon the employee the importance of completing the electronic I-9 as soon as possible.
Electronic Remote I-9 Process
- Department Representative completes and sends the Remote Hire with Agent Form to firstname.lastname@example.org; Attention: I-9 Administrator via FSU Dropbox.
- HR will review the request, and initiate the Remote Hire Workflow.
- The employee will receive an email from the Guardian system, instructing them to complete Section 1 of the I-9 form electronically and print out instructions for a Remote Agent to complete Section 2 electronically.
- The employee will identify a Remote Agent (Notary Public, College/University Representative, or Other Pre-Authorized Agent approved by FSU HR) and bring their original documents along with Remote Agent instructions to their chosen agent.
- The Remote Agent will complete and sign Section 2 of the I-9 form electronically.
- HR will complete and submit all remote hire I-9s to E-Verify and work with Department Representatives if there are any outstanding issues with the I-9 completion.
Copyright 2017 Hyland Software, Inc., Law Logix Division