Skip to main content

Office of Human Resources

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: How do I report a work-related accident?
    A: ImmEDIately notify your supervisor and/or designated department official. All accidents must be reported within 30 days of knowledge that the cause of your condition could be work related.
  • Q: Where can I get the necessary forms for reporting an injury?
    A: From the Office of Human Resources' website at workers’ compensation site info.
  • Q: How is mEDIcal treatment provided for a work related injury?
    A: All mEDIcal treatment (except for emergency care) must be authorized by AmeriSys. An injured worker must notify their supervisor immEDIately. If mEDIcal care is needed the Supervisor will report the accident to AmeriSys at 1-800-455-2079 with the exception of First Aid accidents. (accidents or incidents that occur that do not require mEDIcal treatment). If you do not seek mEDIcal treatment from an authorized provider, you are responsible for payment for your own mEDIcal expenses.
  • Q: Do I have to seek mEDIcal care immEDIately?
    A: No, but you must report your accident so that we have a record if treatment is required at a later date.
  • Q: What happens if I am not able to return to work following an injury?
    A: Florida State University provides all employees with the exception of OPS workers forty hours of disability leave. This time can be utilized to go to authorized mEDIcal appointments or for days off from work that has been certified by an authorized mEDIcal physician.
  • Q: What happens when the initial forty hours of disability benefits are exhausted?
    A: If you have returned to work and are using the time to go back and forth to mEDIcal appointments, you must use your own personal leave time. If you are totally off work because of your injury, workers' compensation benefits will begin.
  • Q: Who pays workers' compensation benefits?
    A: The Florida Department of Financial Services will assign a Claims Specialist to your file. This person will be responsible for the payment of your workers' compensation benefits.
  • Q: At what rate are compensation benefits paid?
    A: If you are completely disabled from work, benefits are paid at 66 2/3% of your average weekly wage based upon 13 weeks of your earnings prior to your accident. This income is tax free. You may also utilize your sick and personal leave to maintain full pay status.
Workers' Compensation is a very complex law and many issues arise as a claim progresses. Please feel free to contact the Workers’ Compensation Manager, Adline Norwood in Human Resources at 850-645-2731.