Make a Complaint

FSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, veterans' status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other legally protected group status.

Complaints against faculty, staff, contractors, visitors, and other third parties, are handled by the Office of Human Resources. If you believe that you have been treated differently because of your membership in one of the protected groups, there are two main avenues you can pursue, both of which can be effective:

  • Informal: The main purpose of an informal resolution is to stop the offending behavior. Some examples of informal resolution include: mediation or requesting that a supervisor or HR staff member counsel the respondent to stop the behavior and discuss applicable University policies and behavioral expectations with them. However, an informal approach would not involve a formal finding of policy violation. An individual may choose to advance to the formal process at any time.
  • Formal: A formal complaint can be made to HR by filling out and submitting the below linked Discrimination Complaint form. A written complaint may lead to a full investigation, where appropriate, and will end with a finding stating whether the University's Equal Opportunity, Non-Discrimination, and Non-Retaliation Policy and/or Anti-Sexual Misconduct Policy was violated.

The University supports the right of any individual who believes that a violation of University policy has occurred to present a good faith complaint and receive an impartial review. Accordingly, it is considered a violation of University policy for any act of retaliation to be taken against an individual because the individual has filed a good faith complaint.

Complaint Form

Refer to the Campus Resources page for 'alternative complaint' resolution options.

For complaints against students, please visit the Department of Student Support and Transitions.