INTERNAL MOVEMENT POLICY
- Current employees and volunteers who are moving positions/roles, or are having a change to their Job Code, Department, or Position Number, or are gaining additional duties require Background Check Questionnaires be submitted to HR (if personnel action not tied to an OMNI-HR Job Offer) and may need to complete a new Background Check in accordance with policy. The chart below details these requirements.
- Internal Movement is defined as:
- promotions, laterals, demotions, reassignments, transfers, changes in assignment, or movement from one workgroup to another
- Reclassifications of A&P or USPS positions require a new background check only if the new duties require a Level 2 Background Check and if one has not previously been completed.
- If the employee has had the same level of check within 1 year of the anticipated start date of the internal movement, Human Resources may reference the background check on file for the new appointment/role.
- OPS: If unfunded for 90+ days and undergoing internal movement with duties requiring a background check, a new check will be required.
- For Additional Appointments or Duties: A new background check is only required if the new appointment/duties require a higher level check than previously completed.
- If a Background Check is required, favorable results and approval must be received from the Office of Human Resources before the start of employment for all appointments (AEX, Faculty, A&P, USPS, OPS, and Graduate Assistants).
"Your job offer is contingent upon your successful completion of the University's onboarding process before your start date, which may include a criminal history background check as well as compliance with State and University requirements."
- Employment may be offered provided that the following contingent language is included in the offer letter:
- Unless pre-approved by the Chief Human Resources Officer, Human Resources will not conduct a Criminal History Background Check more than 120 days (4 months) before an employee's effective date.
ARREST NOTIFICATION POLICY
All current A&P, USPS, and OPS (including Graduate Assistants, Post-Doctoral Students, and Federal Work Study) employees must inform their supervisor within two (2) business days if arrested for any felonies or first degree misdemeanors (or the equivalent thereof in another state). The employee must also notify their supervisor of the final disposition of their case within two (2) business days. In both circumstances, the supervisor must immediately consult with Employee & Labor Relations in the Office of Human Resources to determine if the offense is job related and for additional guidance.
Once a background check is completed on a Graduate Assistant, that check is valid for the life of the student’s employment as a Graduate Assistant with the University, with the exception being if the Graduate Assistant:
- Switches appointments triggering a higher level check;
- Obtains additional duties or an additional appointment triggering a higher level check;
- Cares for vulnerable populations and has a 90+ day gap in funding at FSU;
- Will be working Summer Camps; or
- Has a true break in service from any/all appointments (terminated from OMNI for 31+ days) and is being considered for rehire.
Criminal History Background Checks are required for current employees and volunteers as outlined below:
Internal Movement of A&P or USPS
|Salaried Faculty to A&P or USPS||Yes|
|OPS to Faculty, A&P, or USPS||Yes|
|Salaried Faculty to Salaried Faculty||If moving into positions of special trust or responsibility - reference the Current Employees/Volunteers Section II.B.2.a.2. of Criminal History Background Check Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11|
|OPS to OPS
(including OPS Faculty)
|If the duties of the position warrant it - reference the Current Employees/Volunteers Section II.B.2.a.2. of Criminal History Background Check Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11|
|Faculty, A&P, or USPS to OPS||If the duties of the position warrant it - reference the Current Employees/Volunteers Section II.B.2.a.2. of Criminal History Background Check Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11|
|Reclassification of A&P or USPS Positions||If required by state or federal law, including for positions of special trust or responsibility - reference the Current Employees/Volunteers Section II.B.2.a.7. of Criminal History Background Check Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11|
|One Volunteer Role to Another||If the duties of the volunteer role warrant it - reference the Current Employees/Volunteers Section II.B.2.a.5. of Criminal History Background Check Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11|